Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
MBP : 167.60
  Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Viewer Patched - Quick Note
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 7:02am
Hey guys!

The new viewer should be patched to be more accurate.  It would still be possible at this moment for the viewer th render an incorrect winner.  That will get fixced when I return from vacation but, to give you an idea of the circumstance :

* The viewer now orders the hroses to 5 decimal places.  That is 1/100,000th of a second.  I would argue that the majority of "dead heats" in real horse racing could have been "broken" if the technology existed to determine a race winner to this precision.

* as far as how what this distance equest to, we'll makre an assumption that a horse moves no more than 66ft / second (assuming even at the extreme 10 seconds ~ 1 furlong... so 10 seconds = 660 ft, or 66 ft per second).  Thats 792 inches per second.

* since the viewer is now accurate to 1/100,000th of a second, the horses would have to finish closer than 1/100th of an inch (actually, more like 8/1000ths) to one another to render an incorrect result.

Possible?  Yes.  But I am going to fix it when I return so that's NOT possible.  You guys shouldn't notice a difference, since 1/100th of an inch in a horserace (especially when rendered on a ciomputer screen, which is much smaller)  should be unnoticeable.  For number purists : it won't affect the closeness of the actual speed numbers.. just the rendering in the viewer. :)

So if you see a horse finish second but the final time is posted by him and not the winner during the next week or so while I'm fixing things, please realize the viewer is likely incorrect (but also that you've seen one heck of an exciting race.. :P).

--Mike

Post Reply Post Reply